Saturday, December 29, 2012

Nostalgia....

Gosh, I miss her so.



This is the soundtrack to my childhood, and I really think she looks like my mom here!  Same gorgeous hairstyle from that time - you can check in photos.  There wasn't a note out of place, and the audience couldn't wait until the end to burst into applause.  She was meant to sing, not to model other people's creative designs, that's for sure.  I'm glad I got a chance to bask in the brilliance of Whitney's talent, if only from an upstairs bedroom while playing Barbies or coloring at my desk.  Mom actually got to see her in concert once - lucky!!!  Whitney, you'll never be forgotten.

P.S. I love that dress - so girlish even while it tries to be so seductive!

6 comments:

Megan said...

I know--she was pop, but not disposable pop. Such an amazing voice! All of her albums were amazing, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for "The Bodyguard." Now I'm off to find "I Will Always Love You" on YouTube (Eliza's on my lap--no time like the present to raise her up right!)

Megan said...

Okay--I just watched it, and while I love the music video and especially the clips from the film, I am SORRY, but the whole sitting-on-a-chair-to-sing thing makes her look exactly like she's on the toilet. OMG--ESPECIALLY when she's n the snow!!! Seeing any singer perform a power ballad while sitting makes me want to slap them and shriek, "You look like you're taking a dump--STAND UP!"

Megan said...

Watched again, this time with Karl. Seriously, I'm shocked the woman's not holding a newspaper.

Katie (and Ken) Baldwin said...

Maybe she's got the trots and sitting down is the only way to keep them under control? If I had that powerhouse voice (in my remotest, most wistful dreams, that is!) I could NEVER sit down while belting out that gorgeous, melting song - NEVER!!!

Tim M said...

Such a voice! Such a loss...

jimandkaren said...

That is one concert I will NEVER forget. It is also the only concert that I've been to with complete strangers! Thank you, Brian Parish, for thinking of me when your co-workers suddenly lost their "fourth" the day before the concert!! I am flattered beyond words that you think that Whitney and I resemble one another, even if it is just one photo and one hairdo. The difference between Whitney and I, though, is this: you mentioned that no one would clap until the final note was done. If I were singing, the clapping would start immediately, and the minds of the clappers would be thinking "go away. go away. go away." The most memorable song from her concert was "I Will Always Love You" and the beginning where she sang without accompaniment and her voice filled the entire Memorial Coliseum. And the crowd was perfectly still and awestruck.